Two polymorphs of a covalent complex between papain and a diazomethylketone inhibitorJanowski, R., Kozak, M., Jankowska, E., Grzonka, Z., Jaskolski, M.
(2004) J.Pept.Res. 64: 141-150
- PubMed: 15357669
- DOI: 10.1111/j.1399-3011.2004.00181.x
- Primary Citation of Related Structures:
- PubMed Abstract:
- Structural studies of cysteine proteases and their inhibitors
Grzonka, Z.,Jankowska, E.,Wieczerzak, E.,Kasprzykowski, F.,Lankiewicz, L.,Wiczk, W.,Drabik, P.,Ciarkowski, J.,Janowski, R.,Kozak, M.,Jaskolski, M.,Grubb, A.
(2001) ACTA BIOCHIM.POL. 48: 1
- Binding modes of a new epoxysuccinyl-peptide inhibitor of cysteine proteases. Where and how do cysteine proteases express their selectivity?
Czaplewski, C.,Grzonka, Z.,Jaskolski, M.,Kasprzykowski, F.,Kozak, M.,Politowska, E.,Ciarkowski, J.
(1999) BIOCHIM.BIOPHYS.ACTA 1431: 290
- Structure of monoclinic papain at 1.60 Angstroms resolution.
Pickersgill, R.W.,Harris, G.W.,Garman, E.
(1992) ACTA CRYSTALLOGR.,SECT.B 48: 59
- Crystallization and preliminary crystallographic studies of a new crystal form of papain from Carica papaya.
Kozak, M.,Kozian, E.,Grzonka, Z.,Jaskolski, M.
(1997) ACTA BIOCHIM.POL. 44: 601
- Binding of chloromethyl ketone substrate analogues to crystalline papain.
Drenth, J.,Kalk, K.H.,Swen, H.M.
(1976) Biochemistry 15: 3731
The three-dimensional structure of two polymorphs of a ZLFG-CH2-papain covalent complex has been determined by X-ray crystallography. The structures indicate that: (i) the methylene carbon atom of the inhibitor is covalently bound to the Sgamma atom ...
The three-dimensional structure of two polymorphs of a ZLFG-CH2-papain covalent complex has been determined by X-ray crystallography. The structures indicate that: (i) the methylene carbon atom of the inhibitor is covalently bound to the Sgamma atom of Cys25 of papain; (ii) the hydrophobic S2 pocket formed by Pro68, Val133, Val157, and Asp158 is occupied by the inhibitor's phenylalanyl P2 side chain; (iii) extensive hydrogen bonding and hydrophobic interactions are responsible for the interaction of the inhibitor with the enzyme. Comparison with similar structures suggests that in covalent complexes preservation of main chain-main chain interactions between the enzyme and the inhibitor may have higher priority than the P-S interactions.
Department of Crystallography, Faculty of Chemistry, A. Mickiewicz University, Grunwaldzka 6, 60-780 Poznań, Poland.