Structure of human alpha-thrombin complexed with RWJ-51438 at 1.7 A: unusual perturbation of the 60A-60I insertion loop.Recacha, R., Costanzo, M.J., Maryanoff, B.E., Carson, M., DeLucas, L., Chattopadhyay, D.
(2000) Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 56: 1395-1400
- PubMed: 11053836
- DOI: 10.1107/s0907444900010763
- Primary Citation of Related Structures:
- PubMed Abstract:
- Structure of the Hirulog 3-Thrombin Complex and Nature of the S' Subsites of Substrates and Inhibitors
Qiu, X., Padmanabhan, K.P., Carperos, V.E., Tulinsky, A., Kline, T., Maraganore, J.M., Fenton II, J.W.
(1992) Biochemistry 31: 11689
- Crystal Structure of Thrombin with Thiazole-Containing Inhibitors: Probes of the S1' Binding Site
Matthews, J.H., Krishnan, R., Costanzo, M.J., Maryanoff, B.E., Tulinsky, A.
(1996) Biophys J 71: 2830
- The Refined 1.9-A X-ray Crystal Structure of D-Pro-Phe-Arg Chloromethylketone-Inhibited Human Alpha-Thrombin: Structure Analysis, Overall Structure, Electrostatic Properties, Detailed Active-Site Geometry, and Structure-Function Relationships
Bode, W., Turk, D., Karshikov, A.
(1992) Protein Sci 1: 426
The three-dimensional structure of the ternary complex consisting of human alpha-thrombin, hirugen and the active-site inhibitor RWJ-51438 has been determined at 1.7 A resolution. The crystals of the complex belong to the orthorhombic space group P2( ...
The three-dimensional structure of the ternary complex consisting of human alpha-thrombin, hirugen and the active-site inhibitor RWJ-51438 has been determined at 1.7 A resolution. The crystals of the complex belong to the orthorhombic space group P2(1)2(1)2, with unit-cell parameters a = 62.98, b = 117.52, c = 47.99 A. The refined R and R(free) values are 0.196 and 0.232, respectively. The ketone carbonyl group of the inhibitor is covalently linked to the hydroxyl O atom of Ser195, forming a tetrahedral intermediate hemiketal structure; the benzothiazole ring N atom of RWJ-51438 forms a hydrogen bond with His57. Surprisingly, the carboxylate substituent on the benzothiazole group forms salt bridges with Lys60F NZ and the NZ of the symmetry-related residues Lys236 and Lys240, which introduces steric effects that perturb the 60A-60I insertion loop, especially at residues Trp60D and Phe60H.
Center for Macromolecular Crystallography, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294-0005, USA.