Use of differentially substituted selenomethionine proteins in X-ray structure determination.Gassner, N.C., Matthews, B.W.
(1999) Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 55: 1967-1970
- PubMed: 10666571
- DOI: 10.1107/s0907444999013347
- Structures With Same Primary Citation
- PubMed Abstract:
- Methionine and Alanine Substitutions Show that the Formation of Wild-type-like Structure in the Carboxy-terminal Domain of T4 Lysozyme is a Rate-Limiting Step in Folding
Gassner, N.C., Baase, W.A., Lindstrom, J.D., Lu, J., Dahlquist, F.W., Matthews, B.W.
(1999) Biochemistry 38: 14451
- A Test of the "jigsaw-puzzle" Model for Protein Folding by Multiple Methionine Substitutions within the Core of T4 lysozyme
Gassner, N.C., Baase, W.A., Matthews, B.W.
(1996) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 12155
- Structure of Bacteriophage T4 Lysozyme Refined at 1.7 A Resolution
Weaver, L.H., Matthews, B.W.
(1987) J Mol Biol 193: 189
Using heavily methionine-substituted T4 lysozyme as an example, it is shown how the addition or deletion of a small number of methionines can simplify the location of selenium sites for use in MAD phasing. By comparing the X-ray data for a large numb ...
Using heavily methionine-substituted T4 lysozyme as an example, it is shown how the addition or deletion of a small number of methionines can simplify the location of selenium sites for use in MAD phasing. By comparing the X-ray data for a large number of singly substituted lysozymes, it is shown that the optimal amino acid to be substituted by methionine is leucine, followed, in order of preference, by phenylalanine, isoleucine and valine. The identification of leucine as the first choice agrees with the ranking suggested by the Dayhoff mutation probability, i.e. by the frequency of amino-acid substitutions in the sequences of related proteins. The ranking of the second and subsequent choices, however, differ significantly.
Institute of Molecular Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Physics, 1229 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-1229, USA.