X-ray crystallographic structure of a complex between a synthetic protease of human immunodeficiency virus 1 and a substrate-based hydroxyethylamine inhibitor.Swain, A.L., Miller, M.M., Green, J., Rich, D.H., Schneider, J., Kent, S.B., Wlodawer, A.
(1990) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87: 8805-8809
- PubMed: 2247451
- DOI: 10.1073/pnas.87.22.8805
- Primary Citation of Related Structures:
- PubMed Abstract:
- Structure at 2.5-Angstroms Resolution of Chemically Synthesized Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type I Protease Complexed with a Hydroxyethylene-Based Inhibitor
Jaskolski, M., Tomasselli, A.G., Sawyer, T.K., Staples, D.G., Heinrikson, R.L., Schneider, J., Kent, S.B., Wlodawer, A.
(1991) Biochemistry 30: 1600
- Conserved Folding in Retroviral Proteases. Crystal Structure of a Synthetic HIV-1 Protease
Wlodawer, A., Miller, M., Jaskolski, M., Sathyanarayana, B.K., Baldwin, E., Weber, I.T., Selk, L.M., Clawson, L., Schneider, J., Kent, S.B.H.
(1989) Science 245: 616
- Structure of Complex of Synthetic HIV-1 Protease with a Substrate-Based Inhibitor at 2.3 Angstroms Resolution
Miller, M., Schneider, J., Sathyanarayana, B.K., Toth, M.V., Marshall, G.R., Clawson, L., Selk, L., Kent, S.B.H., Wlodawer, A.
(1989) Science 246: 1149
- Molecular Modeling of the HIV-1 Protease and its Substrate Binding Site
Weber, I.T., Miller, M., Jaskolski, M., Leis, J., Skalka, A.M., Wlodawer, A.
(1989) Science 243: 928
- Crystal Structure of a Retroviral Protease Proves Relationship to Aspartic Protease Family
Miller, M., Jaskolski, M., Rao, J.K.M., Leis, J., Wlodawer, A.
(1989) Nature 337: 576
- Enzymatic Activity of a Synthetic 99 Residue Protein Corresponding to the Putative HIV-1 Protease
Schneider, J., Kent, S.B.H.
(1988) Cell 54: 363
The structure of a crystal complex of the chemically synthesized protease of human immunodeficiency virus 1 with a heptapeptide-derived inhibitor bound in the active site has been determined. The sequence of the inhibitor JG-365 is Ac-Ser-Leu-Asn-Phe-psi[CH(OH)CH2N]-Pro-Ile-Val-OMe; the Ki is 0 ...
The structure of a crystal complex of the chemically synthesized protease of human immunodeficiency virus 1 with a heptapeptide-derived inhibitor bound in the active site has been determined. The sequence of the inhibitor JG-365 is Ac-Ser-Leu-Asn-Phe-psi[CH(OH)CH2N]-Pro-Ile-Val-OMe; the Ki is 0.24 nM. The hydroxyethylamine moiety, in place of the normal scissile bond of the substrate, is believed to mimic a tetrahedral reaction intermediate. The structure of the complex has been refined to an R factor of 0.146 at 2.4-A resolution by using restrained least squares with rms deviations in bond lengths of 0.02 A and bond angles of 4. The bound inhibitor diastereomer has the S configuration at the hydroxyethylamine chiral carbon, and the hydroxyl group is positioned between the active site aspartate carboxyl groups within hydrogen bonding distance. Comparison of this structure with a reduced peptide bond inhibitor-protease complex indicates that these contacts confer the exceptional binding strength of JG-365.
Crystallography Laboratory, National Cancer Institute-Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, MD 21702.