The structural basis for the difference in absorbance spectra for the FMO antenna protein from various green sulfur bacteria.Tronrud, D.E., Wen, J., Gay, L., Blankenship, R.E.
(2009) Photosynth Res 100: 79-87
- PubMed: 19437128
- DOI: 10.1007/s11120-009-9430-6
- Primary Citation of Related Structures:
- PubMed Abstract:
- Refinement of the Structure of a Water-Soluble Antenna Complex from Green
Photosynthetic Bacteria by Incorporation of the Chemically Determined Amino Acid Sequence
Tronrud, D.E., Matthews, B.W.
(1993) The Photosynthetic Reaction Center 1: 13
- Structure and X-Ray Amino Acid Sequence of a Bacteriochlorophyll a
Protein from Prosthecochloris Aestuarii Refined at 1.9 A Resolution
Tronrud, D.E., Schmid, M.F., Matthews, B.W.
(1986) J Mol Biol 188: 443
- Structural Studies of a Bacteriochlorophyll-Containing Protein
Schmid, M.F., Tronrud, D.E., Matthews, B.W.
(1983) Chem Scr 21: 69
- Lipid-Protein Interactions in a Bacteriochlorophyll-Containing Protein
(1982) Lipid-protein Interactions 1: 1
- Structure of a Green Bacteriochlorophyll Protein
Matthews, B.W., Fenna, R.E.
(1980) Acc Chem Res 13: 309
- Structure of a Bacteriochlorophyll A-Protein from the Green
Photosynthetic Bacterium Prosthecochloris Aestuarii
Matthews, B.W., Fenna, R.E., Bolognesi, M.C., Schmid, M.F., Olson, J.M.
(1979) J Mol Biol 131: 259
- Bacteriochlorophyll A-Protein from Green Bacteria
(1978) The Photosynthetic Bacteria --: 161
- Atomic Coordinates for the Chlorophyll Core of a Bacteriochlorophyll
A-Protein from Green Photosynthetic Bacteria
Fenna, R.E., Ten Eyck, L.F., Matthews, B.W.
(1977) Biochem Biophys Res Commun 75: 751
- An Evaluation of Electron Micrographs of Bacteriochlorophyll A-Protein
Crystals in Terms of the Structure Determined by X-Ray Crystallography
Matthews, B.W., Fenna, R.E., Remington, S.J.
(1977) J Ultrastruct Res 58: 316
- Structure of a Bacteriochlorophyll A-Protein from Prosthecochloris Aestuarii
Fenna, R.E., Matthews, B.W.
(1976) Brookhaven Symp Biol 28: 170
- Chlorophyll Arrangement in a Bacteriochlorophyll Protein from Chlorobium Limicola
Fenna, R.E., Matthews, B.W.
(1975) Nature 258: 573
The absorbance spectrum of the Fenna-Matthews-Olson protein--a component of the antenna system of Green Sulfur Bacteria--is always one of two types, depending on the species of the source organism. The FMO from Prosthecochloris aestuarii 2K has a spectrum of type 1 while that from Chlorobaculum tepidum is of type 2 ...
The absorbance spectrum of the Fenna-Matthews-Olson protein--a component of the antenna system of Green Sulfur Bacteria--is always one of two types, depending on the species of the source organism. The FMO from Prosthecochloris aestuarii 2K has a spectrum of type 1 while that from Chlorobaculum tepidum is of type 2. The previously reported crystal structures for these two proteins did not disclose any rationale that would explain their spectral differences. We have collected a 1.3 A X-ray diffraction dataset of the FMO from Prosthecochloris aestuarii 2K, which has allowed us to identify an additional Bacteriochlorophyll-a molecule with chemical attachments to both sides of the central magnesium atom. A new analysis of the previously published X-ray data for the Chlorobaculum tepidum FMO shows the presence of a Bacteriochlorophyll-a molecule in an equivalent location but with a chemical attachment from only one side. This difference in binding is shown to be predictive of the spectral type of the FMO.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403, USA. email@example.com