Two polymorphs of a covalent complex between papain and a diazomethylketone inhibitorJanowski, R., Kozak, M., Jankowska, E., Grzonka, Z., Jaskolski, M.
(2004) J Pept Res 64: 141-150
- PubMed: 15357669
- DOI: 10.1111/j.1399-3011.2004.00181.x
- Primary Citation of Related Structures:
- PubMed Abstract:
- Crystallization and preliminary crystallographic studies of a new crystal form of papain from Carica papaya.
Kozak, M., Kozian, E., Grzonka, Z., Jaskolski, M.
(1997) Acta Biochim Pol 44: 601
- Structural studies of cysteine proteases and their inhibitors
Grzonka, Z., Jankowska, E., Wieczerzak, E., Kasprzykowski, F., Lankiewicz, L., Wiczk, W., Drabik, P., Ciarkowski, J., Janowski, R., Kozak, M., Jaskolski, M., Grubb, A.
(2001) Acta Biochim Pol 48: 1
- Binding of chloromethyl ketone substrate analogues to crystalline papain.
Drenth, J., Kalk, K.H., Swen, H.M.
(1976) Biochemistry 15: 3731
- Structure of monoclinic papain at 1.60 Angstroms resolution
Pickersgill, R.W., Harris, G.W., Garman, E.
(1992) Acta Crystallogr B 48: 59
- Binding modes of a new epoxysuccinyl-peptide inhibitor of cysteine proteases. Where and how do cysteine proteases express their selectivity?
Czaplewski, C., Grzonka, Z., Jaskolski, M., Kasprzykowski, F., Kozak, M., Politowska, E., Ciarkowski, J.
(1999) Biochim Biophys Acta 1431: 290
The three-dimensional structure of two polymorphs of a ZLFG-CH2-papain covalent complex has been determined by X-ray crystallography. The structures indicate that: (i) the methylene carbon atom of the inhibitor is covalently bound to the Sgamma atom of C ...
The three-dimensional structure of two polymorphs of a ZLFG-CH2-papain covalent complex has been determined by X-ray crystallography. The structures indicate that: (i) the methylene carbon atom of the inhibitor is covalently bound to the Sgamma atom of Cys25 of papain; (ii) the hydrophobic S2 pocket formed by Pro68, Val133, Val157, and Asp158 is occupied by the inhibitor's phenylalanyl P2 side chain; (iii) extensive hydrogen bonding and hydrophobic interactions are responsible for the interaction of the inhibitor with the enzyme. Comparison with similar structures suggests that in covalent complexes preservation of main chain-main chain interactions between the enzyme and the inhibitor may have higher priority than the P-S interactions.
Department of Crystallography, Faculty of Chemistry, A. Mickiewicz University, Grunwaldzka 6, 60-780 Poznań, Poland.