Structural plasticity broadens the specificity of an engineered protease.Bone, R., Silen, J.L., Agard, D.A.
(1989) Nature 339: 191-195
- PubMed: 2716847
- DOI: 10.1038/339191a0
- Primary Citation of Related Structures:
- PubMed Abstract:
- Molecular Structure of the Alpha-Lytic Protease from Myxobacter 495 at 2.8 Angstroms Resolution
Brayer, G.D.,Delbaere, L.T.J.,James, M.N.G.
(1979) J.Mol.Biol. 131: 743
- Refined Structure of Alpha-Lytic Protease at 1.7 Angstroms Resolution. Analysis of Hydrogen Bonding and Solvent Structure
Fujinaga, M.,Delbaere, L.T.J.,Brayer, G.D.,James, M.N.G.
(1985) J.Mol.Biol. 184: 479
- Serine Protease Mechanism. Structure of an Inhibitory Complex of Alpha-Lytic Protease and a Tightly Bound Peptide Boronic Acid
Bone, R.,Shenvi, A.B.,Kettner, C.A.,Agard, D.A.
(1987) Biochemistry 26: 7609
- Kinetic Properties of the Binding of Alpha-Lytic Protease to Peptide Boronic Acids
Kettner, C.A.,Bone, R.,Agard, D.A.,Bachovchin, W.W.
(1988) Biochemistry 27: 7682
- Structure Analysis of Specificity. Alpha-Lytic Protease Complexes with Analogues of Reaction Intermediates
Bone, R.,Frank, D.,Kettner, C.,Agard, D.A.
() TO BE PUBLISHED --: --
The substrate specificity of alpha-lytic protease has been changed dramatically, with a concomitant increase in activity, by replacing an active-site Met with Ala. The substrate specificity of both this mutant and another similar mutant are extraordi ...
The substrate specificity of alpha-lytic protease has been changed dramatically, with a concomitant increase in activity, by replacing an active-site Met with Ala. The substrate specificity of both this mutant and another similar mutant are extraordinarily broad. X-ray crystallographic analysis shows that structural plasticity, a combination of alternate side-chain conformations and binding-site flexibility, allows both large and small substrates to be well accommodated.
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco 94143-0448.