Structure of functionally activated small ribosomal subunit at 3.3 angstroms resolution.Schluenzen, F., Tocilj, A., Zarivach, R., Harms, J., Gluehmann, M., Janell, D., Bashan, A., Bartels, H., Agmon, I., Franceschi, F., Yonath, A.
(2000) Cell 102: 615-623
- PubMed: 11007480
- PubMed Abstract:
- Solution structure of the ribosomal protein S19 from Thermus thermophilus
HELGSTRAND, M.,RAK, A.V.,ALLARD, P.,DAVYDOVA, N.,GARBER, M.B.,HARD, T.
(1999) J.Mol.Biol. 292: 1071
- The structure of ribosomal protein s5 reveals sites of interaction with 16S rRNA
RAMAKRISHNAN, V.,WHITE, S.W.
(1992) Nature 358: 768
- Conformational variability of the N-terminal helix in the structure of ribosomal protein S15
CLEMONS, W.M.,DAVIES, C.,WHITE, S.W.,RAMAKRISHNAN, V.
(1998) Structure 6: 429
- Crystal structure of ribosomal protein S8 from Thermus thermophilus reveals a high degree of structural conservation of a specific RNA binding site
NEVSKAYA, N.,TISHCHENKO, S.,NIKULIN, A.,AL-KARADAGHI, S.,LILJAS, A.,EHRESMANN, B.,EHRESMANN, C.,GARBER, M.B.,NIKONOV, S.
(1998) J.Mol.Biol. 279: 233
- Structure of the S15, S6, S18-rRNA complex: assembly of the 30S ribosome central domain
AGALAROV, S.C.,PRASAD, G.S.,FUNKE, P.M.,STOUT, C.D.,WILLIAMSON, J.R.
(2000) Science 288: 107
- The structure of ribosomal protein S7 at 1.9 A resolution reveals a beta-hairpin motif that binds double-stranded nucleic acids
WIMBERLY, B.T.,WHITE, S.W.,RAMAKRISHNAN, V.
(1997) Structure 15: 1187
- Crystal structure of the ribosomal protein S6 from Thermus thermophilus
LINDAHL, M.,SVENSSON, L.A.,LILJAS, A.,SEDELNIKOVA, S.E.,ELISEIKINA, I.A.,FOMENKOVA, N.P.,NEVSKAYA, N.,NIKONOV, S.V.,GARBER, M.B.,MURANOVA, T.A.,RYKONOVA, A.I.
(1994) Embo J. 13: 1249
- Refining the overall structure and subdomain orientation of ribosomal protein S4 delta 41 with dipolar couplings measured by nmr in uniaxial liquid crystalline phases
MARKUS, M.A.,GERSTNER, R.B.,DRAPER, D.E.,Torchia, D.A.
(1999) J.Mol.Biol. 292: 375
The small ribosomal subunit performs the decoding of genetic information during translation. The structure of that from Thermus thermophilus shows that the decoding center, which positions mRNA and three tRNAs, is constructed entirely of RNA. The ent ...
The small ribosomal subunit performs the decoding of genetic information during translation. The structure of that from Thermus thermophilus shows that the decoding center, which positions mRNA and three tRNAs, is constructed entirely of RNA. The entrance to the mRNA channel will encircle the message when a latch-like contact closes and contributes to processivity and fidelity. Extended RNA helical elements that run longitudinally through the body transmit structural changes, correlating events at the particle's far end with the cycle of mRNA translocation at the decoding region. 96% of the nucleotides were traced and the main fold of all proteins was determined. The latter are either peripheral or appear to serve as linkers. Some may assist the directionality of translocation.
Max-Planck-Research Unit for Ribosomal Structure, Hamburg, Germany.