Structure of bovine eye lens gammaD (gammaIIIb)-crystallin at 1.95 A.Chirgadze, Y.N., Driessen, H.P., Wright, G., Slingsby, C., Hay, R.E., Lindley, P.F.
(1996) Acta Crystallogr.,Sect.D 52: 712-721
- PubMed: 15299634
- DOI: 10.1107/S0907444996000352
- PubMed Abstract:
- Crystallographic Study of Gamma-Crystallins from Calf Lens
Chirgadze, Y.N.,Nikonov, S.V.,Garber, M.B.,Reshetnikova, L.S.
(1977) J.Mol.Biol. 110: 619
- Spatial Structure of Gamma-Crystallin Iiib from Calf Eye Lens at 2.5 Angstroms Resolution
Chirgadze, Yu.N.,Nevskaya, N.A.,Fomenkova, N.P.,Nikonov, S.V.,Sergeev, Yu.V.,Brazhnikov, E.V.,Garber, M.B.,Lunin, V.Yu.,Urzumtsev, A.P.,Vernoslova, E.A.
(1986) Dokl.Akad.Nauk Sssr 290: 492
- Improvement of Protein Phases by Coarse Model Modification
Lunin, V.Yu.,Urzhumtsev, A.G.
(1984) Acta Crystallogr.,Sect.A 40: 269
- Crystal Structure of Calf Eye Lens Gamma-Crystallin Iiib at 2.5 A Resolution: Its Relation to Function
Chirgadze, Yu.,Nevskaya, N.,Vernoslova, E.,Nikonov, S.,Sergeev, Yu.,Brazhnikov, E.,Fomenkova, N.,Lunin, V.,Urzhumtsev, A.
(1991) Exp.Eye Res. 53: 295
- Surface Interactions of Gamma-Crystallins in the Crystal Medium in Relation to Their Association in the Eye Lens
Sergeev, Y.V.,Chirgadze, Y.N.,Mylvaganam, S.E.,Driessen, H.,Slingsby, C.,Blundell, T.L.
(1988) Proteins 4: 137
- [the Key Role of the Residue 103 in the Surface Interactions of Gamma-Crystallins]
Sergeev, Iu.V.,Chirgadze, Iu.N.,Driessen, H.,Slingsby, C.,Blundell, T.L.
(1987) Mol.Biol.(Moscow) 21: 377
- Key Role of Residue 103 in Surface Interactions of Gamma-Crystallins
Sergeev, Yu.V.,Chirgadze, Yu.N.,Driessen, H.,Slingsby, C.,Blundell, T.L.
(1987) Mol.Biol.(Engl.Transl.) 21: 317
- Structure of Gamma-Crystallin Iiib from Calf Lens at 5 A Resolution
Chirgadze, Y.N.,Oreshin, V.D.,Sergeev, Y.V.,Nikonov, S.V.,Lunin, V.Y.
(1980) FEBS Lett. 118: 296
- Growing Single Crystals of Gamma Crystallin from the Calf Crystalline Lens
Garber, M.B.,Reshetnikova, L.S.
(1976) Dokl.Akad.Nauk Sssr 226: 1452
- Polypeptide Chain Pathway in Gamma-Crystallin Iiib from Calf Lens at 3 A Resolution
Chirgadze, Yu.N.,Sergeev, Yu.V.,Fomenkova, N.P.,Oreshin, V.D.
(1981) FEBS Lett. 131: 81
- Phase Improvement in Protein Crystallography Using a Mixed Electron Density Model
Lunin, V.Yu.,Urzhumtsev, A.G.,Vernoslova, E.A.,Chirgadze, Yu.N.,Nevskaya, N.A.,Fomenkova, N.P.
(1985) Acta Crystallogr.,Sect.A 41: 166
- Structure of Gamma-Crystallin Iiib from the Eye Lens of the Calf at 3 Angstroms Resolution
Chirgadze, Yu.N.,Sergeev, Yu.V.,Fomenkova, N.P.,Oreshin, V.D.,Nikonov, S.V.
(1981) Dokl.Akad.Nauk Sssr 259: 1502
The crystal structure of bovine lens gammaIIIb-crystallin at 2.5 A resolution previously reported was interpreted using a consensus sequence derived from related vertebrate sequences on the assumption that gammaIIIb-crystallin derived from the gammaC ...
The crystal structure of bovine lens gammaIIIb-crystallin at 2.5 A resolution previously reported was interpreted using a consensus sequence derived from related vertebrate sequences on the assumption that gammaIIIb-crystallin derived from the gammaC-crystallin gene. It has recently been shown that gammaIIIb is a product of the bovine gammaD gene. The structure of gammaIIIb has now been refined with the bovine gammaD sequence using new 1.95 A resolution synchrotron data. The crystallographic R factor was 20.4% for all 33 104 reflection data between 8.0 and 1.95 A measured at 277(1) K. The electron density fully supported the assignment of the gammaD sequence to gammaIIIb. The crystal belongs to space group P2(1)2(1)2(1) with two molecules of molecular mass 20 749 Da in the asymmetric unit in which 219 water molecules were located. The two-domain four-Greek-key motif highly symmetrical protein is very similar in structure to gammaB-crystallin (81% sequence identity). There is a single amino-acid deletion in gammaD in the linker region connecting the two domains. The intermolecular oganization in the crystal lattice is quite different from gammaB as a result of key mutations involving surface residues Leu51, Ile103 and His155. These point mutations will contribute to the intermolecular behaviour of the gamma-crystallins in the eye lens, where they are major components of the densely packed, high refractive index regions of the lens.
Laboratory of Structure Analysis, Institute of Protein Research, Russian Academy of Sciences, Pushchino, Moscow Region, Russia.