Structure of native porcine pancreatic elastase at 1.65 A resolutions.Meyer, E., Cole, G., Radhakrishnan, R., Epp, O.
(1988) Acta Crystallogr B 44: 26-38
- PubMed: 3271103
- DOI: 10.1107/s0108768187007559
- Primary Citation of Related Structures:
- PubMed Abstract:
- Crystal Structures of the Complex of Porcine Pancreatic Elastase with Two Valine-Derived Benzoxazinone Inhibitors
Radhakrishnan, R., Presta, L.G., Meyerjunior, E.F., Wildonger, R.
(1987) J Mol Biol 198: 417
- Analysis of an Enzyme-Substrate Complex by X-Ray Crystallography and Transferred Nuclear Overhauser Enhancement Measurements: Porcine Pancreatic Elastase and a Hexapeptide
Meyerjunior, E.F., Clore, G.M., Gronenborn, A.M., Hansen, H.A.S.
(1988) Biochemistry 27: 725
- Structure of the Product Complex of Acetyl-Ala-Pro-Ala with Porcine Pancreatic Elastase at 1.65 Angstroms Resolution
Meyerjunior, E.F., Radhakrishnan, R., Cole, G.M., Presta, L.G.
(1986) J Mol Biol 189: 533
- Stereochemistry of Binding of the Tetrapeptide Acetyl-Pro-Ala-Pro-Tyr-NH2 to Porcine Pancreatic Elastase. Combined Use of Two-Dimensional Transferred Nuclear Overhauser Enhancement Measurements, Restrained Molecular Dynamics, X-Ray Crystallography and Molecular Modelling
Clore, G.M., Gronenborn, A.M., Carlson, G., Meyer, E.F.
(1986) J Mol Biol 190: 259
- Stereospecific Reaction of 3-Methoxy-4-Chloro-7-Amino-Isocoumarin with Crystalline Porcine Pancreatic Elastase
Meyerjunior, E.F., Presta, L.G., Radhakrishnan, R.
(1985) J Am Chem Soc 107: 4091
- The Atomic Structure of Crystalline Porcine Pancreatic Elastase at 2.5 Angstroms Resolution. Comparisons with the Structure of Alpha-Chymotrypsin
Sawyer, L., Shotton, D.M., Campbell, J.W., Wendell, P.L., Muirhead, H., Watson, H.C., Diamond, R., Ladner, R.C.
(1978) J Mol Biol 118: 137
- Atomic Coordinates for Tosyl-Elastase
Sawyer, L., Shotton, D.M., Watson, H.C.
(1973) Biochem Biophys Res Commun 53: 944
- Amino-Acid Sequence of Porcine Pancreatic Elastase and its Homologies with Other Serine Proteinases
Shotton, D.M., Hartley, B.S.
(1970) Nature 225: 802
- Three-Dimensional Fourier Synthesis of Tosyl-Elastase at 3.5 Angstroms Resolution
Watson, H.C., Shotton, D.M., Cox, J.M., Muirhead, H.
(1970) Nature 225: 806
- Three Dimensional Structure of Tosyl-Elastase
Shotton, D.M., Watson, H.C.
(1970) Nature 225: 811
The structure of native porcine pancreatic elastase in 70% methanol has been refined using film data to 1.65 A resolution, R = 0.169. A total of 134 molecules of water (but no methanol) has been refined. This structure, because of its native state and modestly high resolution, serves as the basis for comparison with other elastase structures complexed with natural or synthetic ligands ...
The structure of native porcine pancreatic elastase in 70% methanol has been refined using film data to 1.65 A resolution, R = 0.169. A total of 134 molecules of water (but no methanol) has been refined. This structure, because of its native state and modestly high resolution, serves as the basis for comparison with other elastase structures complexed with natural or synthetic ligands. Internal structured water occupies distinct regions. Two regions (IW1 and IW7) suggest a mechanism for equalizing 'hydrostatic pressure' related to ligand binding and release. A third region (IW4) forms part of a hydrogen-bonding network linking the catalytic Ser 195 O gamma with a remote (13.4 A) surface of the enzyme. A comparison with the structures of all known serine proteases reveals that a linkage of Ser O gamma to remote surface is conserved in all cases, suggesting that the accepted catalytic mechanism of serine proteases needs to be re-evaluated. One possible mechanism for base catalysis of Ser O gamma H proton extraction is presented.
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Texas A&M University, College Station 77843-2128.