Crystallographic analysis of two site-directed mutants of Azotobacter vinelandii ferredoxin.Soman, J., Iismaa, S., Stout, C.D.
(1991) J.Biol.Chem. 266: 21558-21562
- PubMed: 1939185
- PubMed Abstract:
- 7-Iron Ferredoxin Revisited
(1988) J.Biol.Chem. 263: 9256
- Structure of the Iron-Sulphur Clusters in Azotobacter Ferredoxin at 4.0 Angstroms Resolution
(1979) Nature 279: 83
- Structure of Azotobacter Vinelandii 7Fe Ferredoxin. Amino Acid Sequence and Electron Density Maps of Residues
Howard, J.B.,Lorsbach, T.W.,Ghosh, D.,Melis, K.,Stout, C.D.
(1983) J.Biol.Chem. 258: 508
- Site-Directed Mutagenesis of Azotobacter Vinelandii Ferredoxin I. (Fe-S) Cluster-Driven Protein Rearrangement
Martin, A.E.,Burgess, B.K.,Stout, C.D.,Cash, V.L.,Dean, D.R.,Jensen, G.M.,Stephens, P.J.
(1990) Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.USA 87: 598
- Refinement of the 7 Fe Ferredoxin from Azotobacter at 1.9 Angstroms Resolution
(1989) J.Mol.Biol. 205: 545
- Iron-Sulfur Clusters in Azotobacter Ferredoxin at 2.5 Angstroms Resolution
Stout, C.D.,Ghosh, D.,Pattabhi, V.,Robbins, A.H.
(1980) J.Biol.Chem. 255: 1797
- Structure of the Iron-Sulfur Clusters in Azotobacter Ferredoxin at 4.0 Angstroms Resolution
(1979) Am.Cryst.Assoc.,Abstr.Papers (Winter Meeting) 6: 97
- Iron-Sulfur Clusters and Protein Structure of Azotobacter Ferredoxin at 2.0 Angstroms Resolution
Ghosh, D.,O'Donnell, S.,Fureyjunior, W.,Robbins, A.H.,Stout, C.D.
(1982) J.Mol.Biol. 158: 73
- (4Fe-4S)-Cluster-Depleted Azotobacter Vinelandii Ferredoxin I. A New 3Fe Iron-Sulfur Protein
Stephens, P.J.,Morgan, T.V.,Devlin, F.,Penner-Hahn, J.E.,Hodgson, K.O.,Scott, R.A.,Stout, C.D.,Burgess, B.K.
(1985) Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.USA 82: 5661
- Structure of a 7Fe Ferredoxin from Azotobacter Vinelandii
Ghosh, D.,Fureyjunior, W.,O'Donnell, S.,Stout, C.D.
(1981) J.Biol.Chem. 256: 4185
- Two Crystal Forms of Azotobacter Ferredoxin
(1979) J.Biol.Chem. 254: 3598
The crystal structure of the C24A mutant of Azotobacter vinelandii 7Fe ferredoxin (FdI) has been solved and refined at 2.0-A resolution. The structure is isomorphous to native FdI except at the site of mutation where A24 moves toward the [4Fe-4S] clu ...
The crystal structure of the C24A mutant of Azotobacter vinelandii 7Fe ferredoxin (FdI) has been solved and refined at 2.0-A resolution. The structure is isomorphous to native FdI except at the site of mutation where A24 moves toward the [4Fe-4S] cluster. In spite of this inefficient packing results: three of five van der Waals contacts from the S gamma of C24 in native FdI are lost and the remaining two become longer. Consequently, the [4Fe-4S] cluster is either disordered or has a higher temperature factor (B factor) compared to the rest of the C24A FdI molecule. In addition, the entire C24A FdI structure has a higher overall B factor than native FdI. Therefore, in comparison to native FdI, the C24A mutant is isomorphous but exhibits large differences in B factor, especially at the [4Fe-4S] cluster. In contrast, the C20A FdI structure (Martin, A. G., Burgess, B. K., Stout, C. D., Cash, V. L., Dean, D. R., Jensen, G. M., and Stephens, P. J. (1990) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 87, 598-602), which contains large structural rearrangements in the vicinity of the [4Fe-4S] cluster, exhibits essentially no change in B factor. The conformational change observed at residue 24 is similar in both C24A and C20A FdI structures. The solvent accessibility of the Fe atoms in the [3Fe-4S] and [4Fe-4S] clusters is similar in C24A, C20A, and native FdI.
Department of Molecular Biology, Research Institute of Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California 92037.