GluR2 ligand-binding core complexes: Importance of the isoxazolol moiety and 5-substituent for the binding mode of AMPA-type agonists.Kasper, C., Lunn, M.L., Liljefors, T., Gouaux, E., Egebjerg, J., Kastrup, J.S.
(2002) FEBS Lett 531: 173-178
- PubMed: 12417307
- DOI: 10.1016/s0014-5793(02)03496-8
- Structures With Same Primary Citation
- PubMed Abstract:
- Structural basis for AMPA receptor activation and ligand selectivity: Crystal structures of five agonist complexes with the GluR2 ligand binding core.
Hogner, A., Kastrup, J., Jin, R., Liljefors, T., Mayer, M., Egebjerg, J., Larsen, I., Gouaux, E.
(2002) J Mol Biol 322: 93
- Mechanisms for activation and antagonism of an AMPA-sensitive glutamate receptor: Crystal structures of the GluR2 ligand binding core.
Armstrong, N., Gouaux, E.
(2000) Neuron 28: 165
- Mechanism of glutamate receptor desensitization.
Sun, Y., Olson, R., Horning, M., Armstrong, N., Mayer, M., Gouaux, E.
(2002) Nature 417: 245
- Probing the ligand binding domain of the GluR2 receptor by proteolysis and deletion mutagenesis defines domain boundaries and yields a crystallizable construct.
Chen, G.Q., Sun, Y., Jin, R., Gouaux, E.
(1998) Protein Sci 7: 2623
X-ray structures of the GluR2 ligand-binding core in complex with (S)-Des-Me-AMPA and in the presence and absence of zinc ions have been determined. (S)-Des-Me-AMPA, which is devoid of a substituent in the 5-position of the isoxazolol ring, only has ...
X-ray structures of the GluR2 ligand-binding core in complex with (S)-Des-Me-AMPA and in the presence and absence of zinc ions have been determined. (S)-Des-Me-AMPA, which is devoid of a substituent in the 5-position of the isoxazolol ring, only has limited interactions with the partly hydrophobic pocket of the ligand-binding site, and adopts an AMPA-like binding mode. The structures, in comparison with other agonist complex structures, disclose the relative importance of the isoxazolol ring and of the substituent in the 5-position for the mode of binding. A relationship appears to exist between the extent of interaction of the ligand with the hydrophobic pocket and the affinity of the ligand.
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Royal Danish School of Pharmacy, Universitetsparken 2, Copenhagen, Denmark.