Front End Web Developer
RCSB PDB (RCSB Protein Data Bank) is a world-renowned, scientific organization focused on serving technical, educational and other programmatic needs of scientific and research communities worldwide. RCSB.org serves more than 1 million users in academia and industry. The RCSB PDB development team creates leading edge web technologies targeted for scientific and educational audiences, including 3D molecular visualizations.
Responsibilities for this position are developing and maintaining web applications, including design, code development, testing, troubleshooting, and documentation preparation; and analyzing existing application design and code to improve quality, mitigate issues, and improve performance and functionality.
- Experience resolving browser, cross-platform compatibility issues, and testing front end applications
- Experience with TypeScript and WebGL a plus
Scientific Software Developer
Develop, implement, and maintain complex scientific and web-based software systems for the RCSB Protein Data Bank (PDB; http://www.rcsb.org) at the University of California San Diego (UCSD).
The Scientific Software Developer will work closely and collaboratively with other software developers and scientists at the San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC) and the RCSB PDB partner sites to expand RCSB.org's functionality and reliability as a premier biological data and information resource.
- Develop new scalable algorithms for the mining and analysis of the rapidly growing PDB archive using leading edge Big Data technologies. Design and implement user interfaces for the query, analysis, reporting, and visualization of 3D structural information and associated annotations.
- Integrate external database resources with RCSB PDB to provide a structural view of biology. Help lead the design of databases and data warehouses to store and aid in the query of data.
- Recommend and implement changes in software development, maintenance and system standards for analysis algorithms, tools, and infrastructure.
- Serve as a recognized expert on relevant scientific and technical aspects of the various web, web services, and database components of the RCSB PDB. Stay abreast of the latest development in structural and computational biology and new technologies.
- Apply advanced bioinformatics concepts to design, develop, modify, debug, and evaluate highly complex software programs and web tools. Translate scientific problems into scalable and maintainable software solutions that meet end user needs.
The Challenge: Develop innovative analysis, integration, query, and visualization tools for 3D biomolecular structures to help accelerate research and training in biology, medicine, and related disciplines. In these projects, we employ the latest advances in computer science to develop highly interactive features and scalable services and workflows. The overall goal is always to develop highly interactive features for the RCSB PDB website.
Two positions are available: one focused on Visualization and on one Macromolecular Structure/Biological Assemblies. Possible project areas include:
- Innovative representations for 3D structural data, including biological assemblies.
- Visualizations for comparative analyses.
- Multiscale rendering for exploring large structures.
- Using machine learning to build the next generation search engine for molecular biology.
RCSB PDB Development Team members are located at UC San Diego and Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.
Join the Development Team at UC San Diego.