RCSB PDB Vision and Mission
To enable open access to the accumulating knowledge of 3D structure, function, and evolution of biological macromolecules, expanding the frontiers of fundamental biology, biomedicine, and biotechnology.
To Sustain a unique Findable/Accessible/Interoperable/Reusable (FAIR)1 Living Data Resource of 3D Biomolecular Structure Information, we will
- Safeguard, manage, and enrich the single global PDB archive.
- Provide efficient Deposition/Biocuration Services for biomolecular structures and associated data.
- Advance research and education through expert delivery of Archive Management/Access, Data Exploration, and Outreach/Education Services.
- Meet the needs of diverse, evolving User communities spanning Fundamental Biology, Chemistry, Biomedicine, Energy, Biotechnology, Drug Discovery, and STEM education.
- Anticipate and respond effectively to changes in research, education, and funding.
- The FAIR Guiding Principles for scientific data management and stewardship
M. D. Wilkinson et al. (2016) Scientific Data 3: 160018 doi: 10.1038/sdata.2016.18