The Catalytic Pathway of Horseradish Peroxidase at High ResolutionBerglund, G.I., Carlsson, G.H., Smith, A.T., Szoke, H., Henriksen, A., Hajdu, J.
(2002) Nature 417: 463
- PubMed: 12024218
- DOI: 10.1038/417463a
- Primary Citation of Related Structures:
- Also Cited By: 1W4Y, 1W4W
- PubMed Abstract:
- Crystal Structure of Horseradish Peroxidase C at 2.15 A Resolution
Gajhede, M.,Schuller, D.J.,Henriksen, A.,Smith, A.T.,Poulos, T.L.
(1997) Nat.Struct.Mol.Biol. 4: 1032
- Expression of a Synthetic Gene for Horseradish Peroxidase C in Escherichia Coli and Folding and Activation of the Recombinant Enzyme with Ca2+ and Heme
Smith, A.T.,Santama, N.,Dacey, S.,Edwards, M.,Bray, R.C.,Thorneley, R.N.,Burke, J.F.
(1990) J.Biol.Chem. 51: 13335
- The Structures of the Horseradish Peroxidase C-Ferulic Acid Complex and the Ternary Complex with Cyanide Suggest How Peroxidases Oxidize Small Phenolic Substrates
Henriksen, A.,Smith, A.T.,Gajhede, M.
(1999) J.Biol.Chem. 274: 35005
A molecular description of oxygen and peroxide activation in biological systems is difficult, because electrons liberated during X-ray data collection reduce the active centres of redox enzymes catalysing these reactions. Here we describe an effectiv ...
A molecular description of oxygen and peroxide activation in biological systems is difficult, because electrons liberated during X-ray data collection reduce the active centres of redox enzymes catalysing these reactions. Here we describe an effective strategy to obtain crystal structures for high-valency redox intermediates and present a three-dimensional movie of the X-ray-driven catalytic reduction of a bound dioxygen species in horseradish peroxidase (HRP). We also describe separate experiments in which high-resolution structures could be obtained for all five oxidation states of HRP, showing such structures with preserved redox states for the first time.
Department of Biochemistry, Uppsala University, Biomedical Center, Box 576, S-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden.