E. coli Dihydroorotate Dehydrogenase Reveals Structural and Functional Distinction between different classes of dihydroorotate dehydrogenasesNorager, S., Jensen, K.F., Bjornberg, O., Larsen, S.
(2002) Structure 10: 1211-1223
- PubMed: 12220493
- DOI: 10.1016/s0969-2126(02)00831-6
- Primary Citation of Related Structures:
- PubMed Abstract:
- Crystallization and Preliminary X-ray Studies of Membrane-associated Escherichia coli Dihydroorotate Dehydrogenase.
Rowland, P., Norager, S., Jensen, K.F., Larsen, S.
(2000) Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 56: 659
- The Activity of Escherichia coli Dihydroorotate Dehydrogenase is Dependent on a Conserved Loop Identified by Sequence Homology, Mutagenesis and Limited Proteolysis.
Bjornberg, O., Gruner, A.-C., Roepstorff, P., Jensen, K.F.
(1999) Biochemistry 38: 2899
- The Dihydroorotate Dehydrogenases of Escherichia coli and Lactococcus Lactis Represent Two Distinct Families of the Enzyme.
Bjornberg, O., Jensen, K.F., Gruner, A.-C., Ottosen, M., Sorensen, P., Rowland, P., Norager, S., Larsen, S.
(1999) Flavins And Flavoproteins,proc 13th Int Symp --: 607
- Reduction Reactions of Two Dihydroorotate Dehydrogenases.
Palfey, B., Bjornberg, O., Jensen, K.F.
(1999) Flavins And Flavoproteins,proc 13th Int Symp --: 615
The flavoenzymes dihydroorotate dehydrogenases (DHODs) catalyze the fourth and only redox step in the de novo biosynthesis of UMP. Enzymes belonging to class 2, according to their amino acid sequence, are characterized by having a serine residue as t ...
The flavoenzymes dihydroorotate dehydrogenases (DHODs) catalyze the fourth and only redox step in the de novo biosynthesis of UMP. Enzymes belonging to class 2, according to their amino acid sequence, are characterized by having a serine residue as the catalytic base and a longer N terminus. The structure of class 2 E. coli DHOD, determined by MAD phasing, showed that the N-terminal extension forms a separate domain. The catalytic serine residue has an environment differing from the equivalent cysteine in class 1 DHODs. Significant differences between the two classes of DHODs were identified by comparison of the E. coli DHOD with the other known DHOD structures, and differences with the class 2 human DHOD explain the variation in their inhibitors.
Centre for Crystallographic Studies, University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 5, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark.