PDB Structures on Exhibit at the Birch Aquarium
The Sea of Genes exhibit at the Birch Aquarium (La Jolla, CA) helps to unravel the genetic secrets of life in the ocean through interactive displays that highlight the exciting discoveries of Scripps researchers.
One feature of this exhibition is an interactive kiosk that invites the user to display information about specific proteins found in marine organisms and in the PDB. A few of these proteins are also described in a flyer about the exhibit.
This kiosk is the result of a collaboration between the RCSB PDB and the Birch Aquarium (Scripps Institution of Oceanography at University of California, San Diego). The Sea of Genes exhibit will be on display until Spring 2007.
wwPDB Paper Published
A paper describing the wwPDB background, data deposition and access information, data uniformity efforts, and more has been published:
The worldwide Protein Data Bank (wwPDB): ensuring a single, uniform
archive of PDB data
Helen Berman; Kim Henrick; Haruki Nakamura; John L. Markley
Nucleic Acids Research 2006; doi: 10.1093/nar/gkl971
RCSB PDB Poster Prize Awarded at AsCA
Thanks to everyone who participated in the recent competition for best student poster related to macromolecular crystallography at the Joint Conference of the Asian Crystallographic Association and the Crystallographic Society of Japan (AsCA; November 20-23 in Tsukuba, Japan). The RCSB PDB Poster Prize went to:
Structural studies on the SUF proteins involved in the biogenesis of iron-sulfur clusters
Norika Sumi (1), Kei Wada (1), Shintaro Kitaoka (1), Kei Suzuki (1), Yuko Hasegawa (1), Yoshiko Minami (2), Yasuhiro Takahashi (1), and Keiichi Fukuyama (1)
(1) Department of Biology, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-0043 Japan
(2) Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Okayama University of Science, Okayama 700-0005 Japan
Many thanks to our judges and organizer.
Judges: Anders Liljas (Chair; Lund University), K. Byrappa (University of Mysore), Mitchell Guss (University of Sydney), Chwan-Deng Hsiao (Academia Sinica), and Genji Kurisu (University of Tokyo)
Organizer: Soichi Wakatsuki (Institute of Materials Structure Science, KEK, Japan)
- Director Helen Berman described "wwPDB: An International Collaboratory for Structural Bioinformatics" at the 20th CODATA International Conference in Beijing, China (October 23-25).
- Berman also gave the talk "Resources for Structural Genomics from the RCSB PDB" at the International Structural Genomics Organization Conference in Beijing (October 22-26). Zukang Feng presented the poster "The RCSB PDB structural genomics portal" at this meeting.
- Co-director Phil Bourne traveled to Cuba to discuss "Protein Structural Data Reveals How Environmental Pressures Shape Evolution" at the 27th Latin-American Conference on Chemistry (October 16-20).
- Bourne then presented "Assigning DOIs to data objects" at the Crossref Annual Member Meeting in Boston on November 1, 2006.
- The RCSB PDB recently exhibited at the annual conference of the Association of Science-Technology Centers (October 28-31 in Louisville, Kentucky).
Molecules of the Quarter
The Molecule of the Month series
explores the function and significance of selected biological macromolecules for a general audience.
The molecules featured this quarter were cytochrome p450, fibrin, and transposase.
All Molecule of the Month features are accessible from the RCSB PDB home page.